Alibi (1929)

The year of 1929 was in the middle of prohibition in America and notorious gangsters with the likes of Al Capone filled news stories across the country. It is only natural that motion pictures would adopt a new genre of gangster films. Throughout the 20s we would see dabs of this genre float around the silver screen and it would explode into a mega genre in the 1930s especially with the Warner Bros studio, but it was United Artist that made the gangster film in 1929. The picture was one of the first talking gangster films and would get a few nods at the Oscars that year, but in the end would be talkie that struggled and is hard to watch by today's standards.

The story is simple, about a gangster, Chick Williams (Chester Morris), newly freed from jail who pulls off his latest heist, but he has an alibi of being at the theater that night with his new wife, Joan (Eleanor Griffith) the daughter of Police Sergeant Pete Manning (Purnell Pratt). The movie is a cat and mouse game with the police trying to crack down the alibi by proving that Chick was in fact there at the heist. The police would eventually use hard nosed tactics to get people to confess of the warehouse break in that ended in the murder of a fellow police officer at the scene of the crime. The police worked to prove that Chick could have popped out during intermission of the stage act to perform the crime with time to make it back to the show before it resumed. Filled with all the old school gangster movie cliques, this film has an undercover cop that is discovered and has a long dying scene and even a police chase on rooftop that ends with Chick falling to his death. All this is tied together in a neat little bundle in the picture Alibi.

Like most films of this roughly two year period, this picture struggles with the use of integrating sound into an established medium of motion pictures. Director Roland West, known for his work in film noir pictures of the 20s, was no doubt chosen for this picture to add the layer of darkness in this crime drama. The film was a direct adaptation of the stage play "Nightstick" (which is an alternate title for the picture along with the name "The Perfect Alibi"). The story was set and rather simple, but to put it on screen is a different challenge as motion pictures were in this new flux with how pictures were assembled with sound. The sound quality for this picture was actually very poor. Knowing whether that was the actual recording or the deterioration over time I cannot say, but what I can say is that it fluctuated many times with its volume and there was a struggle to record the voices of actors who moved from time to time further away from the set position of the microphone. The microphone would also hurt the cinematography as the camera does not move at all for almost the complete film. These were the struggles in adding a new element to the productions of movies in a time that was use to "point, shoot, action."

The editing was a struggle to deal with while watching from today standards. Today's audiences are very savvy with quick editing we see in motion pictures and especially television, but this picture really dragged on slowly. You couldn't get any more linear of a story than this, but the editing did not add to the excitement or drama at all. One scene has a crook being interrogated and while he waits for two officers to talk in the corner we just wait with him. The scene was painfully slow to watch. The best editing in the film was a stand off with the undercover cop as he is discovered and shot for his lies to the gangsters. We watch his eyes as he looks around the room as three men move in on him. Having the men move towards the camera helped as the camera was fixed in one position, good direction when we know the camera lacks the dimension it once had when it moves around the room.

The film had its pros and its cons. The good included the use of shadows and light, the angles used in shots of the stage performers in theater scenes, and decent, though predicable story. The bad was cliques, including one slow, drawn out death scene with every clique you could imagine ("it's getting hard to see," "tell mother... goodbye," "I just wanted to be a good cop."). You can definitely tell this was a trend setter in the genre of gangster movies because this had everything wrapped in one.

All in all the film was bit of hit for 1929. It did garner three Oscar nods with best art direction, best actor (for Chester Morris), and even best picture. (All nominations for the 2nd Academy Awards where actually not nominated prior to the ceremony, but would be listed as nominations after the fact by the Academy for historical purposes.) Overall today the movie is not well known at all and is seen as poor by those that do, with a fraction believing it is a wonderful crime drama that set it up for all others to follow. Alibi wold be just another link in the chain in film history that was necessary during that shaky transitional period in movie history.

Comments

  1. Alibi was not available to me when I did my chronological movie project, so now that I'm done with it and filling in blanks for my never-to-be-published book I got Alibi and thought it was a treasure. Loved the chorus scenes (note this film was so pre-Code that Hays hadn't even drafted the Code). You're right that the dying scene was overdone in a silent-melodrama style, but that is part of the film's antique charm to a 21st Century viewer.

    What interested me was a kind of search for a first-Film-Noir, given that this film pre-dates even "M" and has a lot of the light-and-shadow Expressionistic touches, plus a disoriented drive through surreal city lights/flashing neon. Note that if you really go as far back as Alibi (1929) for early pre-Noir crime dramas you should go further back to The Penalty (1920).

    Googling Film Noir and Alibi is what got me a hit on your blog, and gave me the revelation that there is another untreated OCD trying to watch the greatest or most significant movies of all time in order. No offense intended, its what I've been doing for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your input. I am doing this little, fun film journey purely for my own amusement. This blog was really an after thought that has evolved with time. This is meant to capture the histories of the films while chronicling what I have learned and putting the pictures into proper perspectives of the times they came out, as well as through time. It allows me to look back as well well after I move on as a reminder. I see it as a little bit of an honor that people like yourself take the time actually read my humble posts.

    Like you, I have holes in my "project" and from time to time I go back to fill in gaps (i.e. Wings, which I had to jump back many years to get to.) In time perhaps I will go back, but as for now I move forward.

    Things like charm and prospective are all the things I attempt to take out of my viewings. I just remember the death scene making me feel like I was watching a clique reel, but that was at that time.

    What really interested me at that moment was the struggle of the filmmakers with use of the new advent of sound. It caused so much trouble for so many, destroying careers, shaking others, while giving birth to a new control over storytelling. I enjoy the stories that are in movies, but I love imagining what is going on behind the camera. I studied and worked on that side of the lens and almost get as much joy realizing what is going on that you cannot see versus what is actually recorded. I guess that is my OCD as I look for the hidden gems that the trained eye will find over he casual audience.

    I am only a little over two years into my march (the blog actually started about 6 months after I starting watching and had to play catch up). I hope you enjoy, or at least appreciate, what I have been doing thus far. It sure does interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Baroque charm of pre-Code talkies. Maybe someday there will be a craze for this genre. My favorite examples other than Alibi are already on your list -- Applause (1929), Pandora's Box (1929) and In Old Arizona (1928). One other you might consider is The Mating Call (1928).

    Your list seems a bit more inclined toward cinematic art and techniques than mine, as my list leans to a history of popular culture, and I sincerely disliked most of the arty, nonlinear stuff that I tried watching like Man With A Camera. I'm lining up the films on your list that I have note seen, and watching them chronologically starting with Crainquebille to see if it gives me a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts